Gur or jaggery is prepared from sugar cane juice. This is used as sweetening agent in many Indian traditional dishes. Jaggery contains plenty of nutrients as it is not completely refined like sugar. Texts of ayurveda eulogize this delicious substance as “Guda”.
Medicinal properties and health benefits of Gur or jaggery:
• Well prepared jaggery is store house of nutrients. According to ayurveda acharyas It eases bowel movement (hence very beneficial for persons suffering from constipation) and acts as diuretic.
• Guda or jaggery kept for a long time is very good for health and acts as cardiac tonic. It increases kapha and helps to gain a healthy weight. Hence it is recommended for persons who need brimhana therapy or weight gain therapy.
• Gur is rich in several important vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium, calcium and phosphorus and antioxidants.
• It supplies instant energy. Juices prepared using this as sweetening agent are healthy and reviving.
• The iron content in this sweetener helps to boost blood hemoglobin level. Hence its use in pregnancy can be beneficial.
• The potassium in gur helps to control blood pressure.
• This sweetener can be used as a healthy substitute for sugar.
. It helps in digestion and nullifies free radicles.
Home remedies with jaggery:
Common Cold: mix 1 tea spoon of powdered gur with 2 tea spoons of beetle leaves’ juice. Add ½ cup of warm water and sip slowly.
Consuming 1 small piece of jaggery daily, in empty stomach with a glass of water helps to relieve menstrual problems.
Regular use of this helps to reduce incidences of anemia.
Grind ½ tea spoon of gur, ½ tea spoon sesame seeds and few drops of milk to a fine paste. Applying this paste on forehead helps to relieve migraine headaches.Consumption of jaggery relieves headache.
Grind 1 tea spoon jaggery with 2-3 black peppers. Keep this paste on tongue and slowly chew it to get relief from cough.
Note: Diabetic patients should be careful while using this as it may increase blood glucose level.
Dr.Savitha Suri is an ayurvedic Consultant Physician. She has an experience of 26 years in the field of ayurveda. The content is copyrighted to Dr.Savitha Suri and may not be reproduced on other websites. You can contact her for free online ayurvedic consultations at email@example.com
Follow Dr. Savitha Suri on Google Plus