The fruit Kushmanada belongs to the family of Cucurbitaceae. Its botanical name is Benincasa Hispida . It is also known as ash gourd or wax gourd. This plant trails on ground and has hairy leaves. The young fruit is hairy. The fruit loses it hair and gets a waxy coat when matures. The length of matured fruit will be 1-1.5 ft . This plant is cultivated in south East Asia .The seeds of this fruit are flat and white in colour.
Fruits of this plant are widely used for cooking in India, Pakistan and China. Many delectable dishes like peta, (a sweet dish), soups and curries are prepared by this fruit.
According to texts of ayurveda this fruit is very light to digest and sweet to taste. It cools the body and acts as a brain tonic.
Health benefits of ash gourd
Home remedies using ash gourd or Benincasa Hispida
1. Apply crushed pulp of ash gourd on skin which is affected by burns. It cools the burns and help to heal quickly.
2. The juice of leaves can be used in same way.
3. Grate pulp of fully matured Benincasa Hispida (ash gourd) fruit. Squeeze it and extract its juice. Mix it with equal quantity of water. Drink this juice in empty stomach daily. This helps to increase memory power, heal stomach ulcer and reduce acidity. It also acts as a brain tonic.
4. Cut the matured fruit’s pulp into big cubes and boil them in water, till they are half cooked. Use this water for soups and consume the cooked fruit. This helps to relieve the constipation.
5. Including cooked pulp in diet or consumption of juice helps in condition like bleeding piles.
6. Regular consumption of slices of ash gourd treated with sugar syrup help to increase body weight in patients affected with tuberculosis.
7. Regular consumption of this fruit helps to increase quality and quantity of semen.
8. When heat boils appear on skin, mix juice of this fruit with besan flour and apply as pack on affected skin.
Dr.Savitha Suri is an ayurvedic Consultant Physician. She has an experience of 26 years in the field of ayurveda. The content is copyrighted to Dr.Savitha Suri and may not be reproduced on other websites. You can contact her for free online ayurvedic consultations at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Dr. Savitha Suri on Google Plus