benefits of Curd- as explained in ayurveda
About Ayurveda > Benefits of Curd- as explained in ayurveda
Benefits of Curd- as explained in ayurveda
According to ayurveda the
properties of curd are described as follows.
The curd is sour (amla) to taste.
It absorbs water from intestines (hence called as Grahi). By the virtue of this property it is widely used to treat diarrhea and dysentery.
It causes heaviness when used in excess and may cause constipation.
It mitigates vata dosha, increases kapha and pitta. Curd should not be used in diseases where blood (rakta dhatu) is vitiated by doshas.
Regular consumption of this in pure form increases body fat and may cause obesity.
Curd helps to increase quality and quantity of semen.
It strengthens the body.
Consumption of curd accelerates digestion (agni), stimulates taste buds and acts as an appetizer.
It is found beneficial in diseases of duodenum.
It reduces irritability of bladder and helps in emptying bladder easily.
Dos and donts for using curd:
according to ayurveda Curd should not be eaten at nights.
- It should not be boiled or heated.
- Always it has to be mixed with honey or sugar before consuming.
- Its properties get enhanced when mixed with cooked green gram or ghee or gooseberries (amla , Emblica Officinalis).
- Curd should be used only when it is well formed or completely coagulated.
- Consumption of incompletely coagulated curd may flare up
psoriasis, bleeding in hemorrhoids, ibs etc. and may
Home remedy using curd
Curd for dandruff -
Dandruff is a known cause of hair loss. Applying sour curd as a pack to scalp and hair , once in a week prevents formation of dandruff.
- Mix moong dal (green gram) powder with curd and massage it to scalp and brush it on hair. Wash it off after 1 hour. This helps to prevent hair loss and dandruff. It also helps to increase hair growth.
- Dry orange peel in summer and powder it. Mix this powder with little curds massage it on face and neck. This acts as an excellent cleanser and cleanses clogged pores thus preventing acne and pimples.
- Curds when mixed with sugar acts as an excellent body coolant and instant energizer. It also quenches thirst.
- A mixture of besan (gram flour) is an excellent face pack to
facial skin and
Subscribe to free health news letter