The spice cinnamon is bark of Cinnamon tree. The cinnamon tree grows to the height of 10 to 15 feet. The cinnamon tree grows in various parts of world. Among these varieties, cinnamon from SriLanka is considered as the best Spice since it is sweet to taste and has very pleasant aroma. The leaves of this tree is also used as spice and is known as tamala patra or tejpatta . The cinnamon sticks are used in both sweets and spicy foods. It enhances flavour and taste of food. Cinnamon has various names in Ayurveda. Few are given here
- Twak – Since The bark of the tree is used for medicinal purpose
- Utkata – As it has very sharp aroma
- Daaru Sita– It gets this name because bark tastes sweet
Based on Principles of Ayurveda the bark of cinnamon is light to digest and absorbs more water during digestion. This causes dryness of body tissues. It has three tastes combined (sweet, bitter and hot). It is hot in potency.
This bark when used as medicine alleviates vata and kapha. But increases pitta. But cinnamon of sweet variety has the property of normalising pitta due to its sweetness.
Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Cinnamon
- This bark is used in diseases which originate due to vata. It is very useful in diseases like paralysis and nerve weakness.
- Ayurveda acharyas recommend this bark in indigestion, flatulence and bloating. It reduces stomach pain and relieves discomfort due to indigestion.
- This spice is very helpful in diseases of lungs. It is effectively used in productive cough to relieve chest congestion. Texts of Ayurveda recommend using cinnamon oil in tuberculosis and other diseases of lungs.
- Cinnamon is very helpful in diabetes. It helps to control fluctuating blood sugar levels.
- In women it strengthens the uterus and regularises the menstrual cycle.
- In men it supports the sexual function and improves erectile dysfunction. Since it helps to control diabetes and also improves sexual function, it can be used as best ayurvedic remedy for erectile dysfunction in diabetes. This makes cinnamon an important herb in Vajikarana Therapy
- This spice alleviates kapha. Medha dhatu or body fat reduces as kapha get decreased. Hence cinnamon can be effectively used for weight loss.