Causes of Dry Skin:
The skin loses its capacity to retain moisture, as we grow old. The extreme climatic conditions to which we get exposed, as we grow old worsen the condition and skin becomes more dry.
Ayurveda description about dry skin
The type of skin is determined by tridoshas. The Dosha, which is dominant in skin, determines the type and quality of the skin. When vata dosha is dominant ,the skin will be dry, thin, delicate and cool (to touch). When vata dosha becomes imbalanced in body and skin , the skin becomes rough, scaly and wrinkled.
The problems of dry skin:
- Dry and rough skin.
- Development of wrinkles at an early age.
- Scaly and cracked skin
- Aged looks.
- Dull and lifeless appearance.
- More prone to fungal infection and dry eczema.
Ayurveda tips and home remedy for dry skin condition.
- Prevent further drying of skin as it does not contain much moisture.
- Avoid stale, over fried, dry food.
- Always consume fresh warm food with little fat like ghee or olive oil.
- Include sour and salty food in diet.
- Sweet juicy fruits are recommended.
- Drink 7-9 glasses of warm water every day. (Do not drink cold water as it increases vata)
- Massage the whole body with herbal oil, which contains VATA balancing herbal ingredients before taking a bath.
- Drink the herbal tea, which contains vata-balancing ingredients with a squeeze of lemon early in the morning, in empty stomach.
- Liberally apply moisturising lotion on body skin daily. This naturally supplies the moisture needed for dry skin .
- Sleep for 8 hrs a day. (Preferably from 9 PM to 5 AM).
- Avoid alcohol-based cleansers.