Butter milk is a very popular health drink in India. Buttermilk is by product of milk .
Know more about milk and milk products at
It has multiple uses like dosha balancing, thirst quencher, weight loss drink etc. It is also used in ayurvedic treatment. Ayurveda acharyas compare this drink to “amruta” or divine nectar.
Table of content
Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Buttermilk
Ayurveda acharyas advice vaidyas, to use buttermilk in treatment regimen of various diseases and common men to maintain their health.
Buttermilk is known as “Takra” in ayurveda. Its properties and medicinal qualities are described in as follows.
Buttermilk does not cause heaviness when consumed. Hence it is known to have the quality “laghu”. It gets digested quickly and easily. This health drink is usually sour (amla rasa) in taste and acts as an astringent (kashaya rasa). Due to this property it helps in reducing pores caused by acne and pimples. Takra is recommended in few home remedies and ayurvedic tips for acne and pimple. This property also helps to shrink hemorrhoids or piles. It reduces hyper motility of intestines during diarrhea and IBS. .Aggravated kapha dosha and vata dosha are mitigated by this wonder drink. It is the best appetiser. According to ayurveda it reduces bloating of stomach, eases symptoms of hemorrhoids, soothes intestines in IBS and helps as an ayurvedic home remedy for indigestion. It also reduces effects of poison and is very useful in treating disorders of spleen and anemia.
Buttermilk can be used in Ayurvedic Liver Detox at Home and body. It cleanses the intestines, relieves constipation and helps to replenish intestinal flora. It is recommended as Natural Ayurvedic Remedy for Constipation by ayurveda doctors. It has less fat compared to milk and is rich in calcium, potassium and vit B12.
Buttermilk, which is rich in cream, when consumed with sugar balances vata and pitta dosha. It acts as a body coolant and also nourishes body. This is referred as “Ghola” in ayurveda. It is very similar to Curd / Yogurt and Sugar A Cooling Health Shot . Since ayurveda strictly forbids consumption of curd, the full cream buttermilk with sugar can be used instead.
When water is added to full fat buttermilk in the ratio of 1:1 , it gets diluted. This diluted drink improves digestion and boosts body strength. This is takra and considered as best form of buttermilk to use in daily diet and also in ayurvedic treatments.
Fat free buttermilk will be acidic in nature and increases pitta. But it balances vata and kapha. Due to its acidic nature, it will be hot in nature. ( Ushna Veerya ) . This is recommended in conditions like asthma and bronchitis where alleviation of vata and kapha is required.
How to prepare butter milk in ayurvedic way:
Thick curd should be whipped to separate butter. The liquid portion which remains after separating butter is called as buttermilk . When this butter milk is mixed with water , it is called as “sajala takra”. If the buttermilk is used without adding water, it is called as “nirjala takra” or ghola.
How to make a Tasty drink out of buttermilk:
Mix ½ glass of buttermilk to ½ glass of water. Churn it well. Add a pinch of rock salt or sendha namak, ½ tea spoon ginger juice and squeeze ½ lime to it. Garnish with coriander leaves. This quenches thirst, reduces nausea and vomiting.
Home remedies using buttermilk:
- Mix a pinch of salt, ½ tea spoon ginger juice and crushed cumin seeds to a glass of buttermilk. This relieves acidity, constipation and symptoms of piles.
- Add a pinch of salt, a tea spoon of sugar to a glass of butter milk diluted with water. This acts as a very good rehydrating formula in diarrhea and dehydration. It supplies energy instantaneously and reduces frequency of stools.
- It is a healthy drink for people who suffer from obesity, piles and inflammed colon or ibs. This is used as ayurvedic home remedy for IBS.
- Massage a mixture of butter milk and salt on pores caused by acne and pimples. Then wash it off with warm water and rinse once again with cold water. This helps to reduce the pores.
- Regular consumption of full fat butter milk strengthens the digestive system and keeps it free from infections.
- Persons who are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or amavata are benefited by this drink. Takra which is fat free and dilute helps to balance vata, expel ama (the body toxin which causes arthritis). Since it balances kapha and vata, the stiffness of joints and pain eases .
- Buttermilk is the best ayurvedic remedy for piles or haemorrhoids. Usually while treating hemorrhoids the following procedure is applied. The protruding hemorrhoid is massaged with warm sesame oil or gingelly oil. A sitz bath using luke-warm buttermilk is prepared and patient is made to sit in this.
- In IBS fresh takra along with little sugar and licorice ( yastimadhu or mulethi ) powder is the best remedy.
- When you are exhausted from work, a good takra along with little sugar or jaggery acts as a best rejuvenator.
- In diarrhoea this health drink is administered with nutmeg (jatiphala) powder.
When you should not use buttermilk ?
Fat free takra should not be used in summer. It is contra indicated for physically injured persons. Persons who are weak and have lost strength should not use this. Anyone who have pitta imbalance should avoid this drink.
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for ayurvedic remedies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911