Dry Skin looks dull and life less as it lacks moisture. Well hydrated moist skin glows and exhibits a healthy look. Wrinkles develop at an early age due to prolonged dryness of skin. Dry, rough and wrinkled skin gives an aged appearance. Dry and cracked skin harbor microbes and cause fungal infections. Excess drying of skin leads to dry eczema. Dry skin may be present in psoriasis.
Hence a proper care should be taken to increase the moisture level of skin and prevent drying. Soft ,smooth and wrinkle free skin gives young and healthy look.
Here are the natural tips and home remedies to take care of dry skin
- Do not use hot water to cleanse the dry skin.
- Use a soft cotton cloth and pat dry your skin. Do not rub the skin with harsh ,rough textured towels.
- Instead of washing with water use a clean sprayer to moisten your skin. Use mineral water instead of tap water for spray.
- Lightly pat dry the skin.
- Avoid using harsh soaps and face washes as they remove natural oil that protects your skin.
- Pamper your skin by massaging with moisturiser. Moisturiser increases the moisture of upper layer of skin and makes it soft and smooth.
- Regularly massage your body with herbal oil. Herbal oil softens and sooth the dry skin and help to trap the moisture between skin pores.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil before finishing the bath and pat dry the skin
- Avoid alcohol-based cleansers.
- Consume a balanced diet which includes foods from all groups like vegetables, fruits, carbohydrates, cereals, milk and milk products.
- Include yellow and orange vegetables like carrot which have rich anti oxidants.
- Avoid junk foods like chips, deep fried foods etc.
Dry skin Care – Natural Ayurveda home remedies
- Mix well egg yolk, rose water lime juice, olive oil and orange juice ( 1 tea spoon each). apply a smooth mixture of this ingredient on your face in morning and wash it off after 20 minutes
- A face mask of honey, egg, olive oil and rose water works very well for dry skin.
- Liberally apply herbal gentle moisturizer all over your body.
- Massage your body with herbal oil infused with vata balancing herbs, twice in a week.
- Increase the moisture level of skin by applying natural herbal gel which is rich in aloevera and essential oils.
- Regularly consume herbal tea which contains vata balancing herbs.
Texts of ayurveda recommend certain diet for people who suffer from skin diseases like dry skin, psoriasis, eczema, acne pimples etc. By following this diet regimen flaring and exaggeration of symptoms can be prevented.
- Diet must be light and easy to digest. It should not lead to constipation, indigestion or bloating.
- Include bitter vegetables in your diet. Bitter vegetables always detoxify liver and help to keep the skin healthy.
- Include tender neem leaves, amla (emblica officinalis), haritaki and vibhitaki in diet.
- Do not use freshly harvested cereals.
- Avoid sour foods like curd.
- Strictly say no to fish, jaggery, and sesame seeds.
- Use little ghee in your diet.