Diabetic patients can consume around 1 cup of papaya . It supplies nutrients to manage blood pressure, relieve constipation , boost immunity and strength. It also helps in erectile dysfunction due to diabetes
Table of content
About papaya fruit
Papaya is a tiny tree which grows upto 16 ft. Even though this plant is native of west indies and central america, now it is widely grown in India. It is a very popular fruit for its immense health benefits. This plant belongs to Caricaceae family and has a botanical name Carica papaya Linn.
Papaya is known by different names in local languages of India. It is papeeta in hindi, papaya in english, papeya in bengali, parangi hannu in kannada, boppayi in telagu, popai in marathi, pappali phalam in tamil, papaya pazham in malyalam,.
Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Papaya
This fruit is known as Eranda Karkati in ayurveda. It has other sanskrit synonyms like Nalaparni (its leaves have hollow stick like stalk), Madhukarkati and Erandachirbhata
Acharya Bhavaprakasha explains medicinal properties of this fruit as follows.
This fruit is filled with beeja or seeds. The fruit is sweet to taste (madhura rasa) and retains same taste even after digestion (vipaka). It is heavy to digest (guru). It acts as a body coolant (sheeta veerya).
Ayurveda Health Benefits and Uses of Papaya .
Papaya has immense health benefits.
Does Digestive System Detox
The ripe fruit improves sensation of taste buds and kindles appetite. Papayas are rich in soft and easily digestible fibers. These fibers induce the normal bowel movement and help to relieve constipation. Green raw papaya helps to eliminate intestinal parasites. It is recommended when you have problem of acidity and stops hiccups. It also helps to reduce dizziness caused due to gastric irritation or excess pitta.
Boosts strength of heart
This fruit is praised as “hrudya” or heart friendly. It strengthens heart muscles and clears arteries by reducing cholesterol.
Increases Body Strength
This fruit helps to increase body strength and best for persons who are recuperating from illness. This is also useful for those who need more energy and strength to do physical work. Ripe Papeeta can be given to persons who are suffering from cough, cold and fever. It boosts immunity and strength.
Benefits of ripe Papaya Fruit in Diabetes
Diabetic patients experience a dilemma about consuming fruits. The reason behind this is many fruits are high in glycaemic index (sugar concentration) and may increase blood sugar level. Maintaining blood sugar level in normal limits is a big task for diabetes patients. A little change in food quantity and quality may lead to fluctuation of sugar levels in blood.
Papaya is a best fruit for diabetics to consume. Papaya contains less sugar but provide plenty of nutrients which help in overcoming the nutritional deficiencies diabetes.
Papayas are cheap and easy to procure. They are available with almost all fruit and vegetable vendors. Papayas are available round the clock. This fruit is available in different sizes and weigh according to their size. When cut we can see a hollow portion filled with black seeds. Some papayas may be seedless.
- Papaya is very low in calories and it does not contain cholesterol. It contains plenty of phyto-nutrients, minerals and vitamins. These vitamins and minerals are needed by diabetic tissues.
- Ripe papayas are rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folic acid, Riboflavin and Thiamine. Vitamin A is required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and is essential for healthy vision. Vitamin C has many important functions like free radicals scavenging, immune booster, and anti-inflammatory actions. The B-Complex vitamins such as Folic acid, Riboflavin and Thiamine are essential in the sense that body requires them from external sources to replenish and play a vital role in metabolism.
- The nutrient compounds in papaya are known to have antioxidant properties; help act as protective scavengers against oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
- Fresh ripe papaya also contains a good amount of potassium and calcium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids and helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure countering effects of sodium. Thus it helps in controlling fluctuating blood pressure. Because of these minerals papaya helps men to overcome erectile dysfunction due to diabetes.
- We all know obesity increases incidences of diabetes. Weight loss in obese diabetic patients help to reduce blood sugar level. Papaya fruit is of great help in this condition. Papaya fruit fills the stomach. Its low calorie pulp coupled with rich fibers help in weight loss.
Thus papaya is a fruit of choice for diabetic patients.
Ayurveda Medicinal Properties of Papaya Leaf
Leaves of papaya are bitter (tikta rasa) and spicy (katu rasa) to taste. The spicy taste remains after digestion. It is light to digest (laghu) and absorbs moisture from tissues (ruksha). It increases body heat (ushna veerya ).
Leaves of papeeta balance kapha and vata. It is heart friendly (hrudya) . Juice of leaves are recommended in dengue, when platelet count drops.
Home Remedies With Papaya
- Clean a papaya leaf and chop it finely. Soak a table spoon of chopped leaves in 100 ml of water for 8 hours. 25 ml of this cold infusion can be given in fever, UTI and Cystitis.
- The latex from raw papaya is generally applied on mouth ulcers, wounds, bleeding piles, eczema, ringworm, insect bites and scorpion bites to relieve pain and inflammation.
- Person who are suffering from piles (haemorrhoids) , intestinal parasites and enlargement of liver can use green raw papeetha in their diet.
- A hot poultice of papaya leaf is applied on swollen body parts and joints. This relieves pain and swelling.
Can Papaya be Used in Pregnancy ?
It is a common notion in India to not to eat papaya in pregnancy. The reason behind this is the latex of raw papaya may cause abortion. In olden days raw papaya was used as a medicine to terminate unwanted pregnancy. Hence ayurveda recommends not to eat papaya during pregnancy. But this can be used to to lose weight after delivery.
Consult Dr.Savitha Suri for infertility, erectile dysfunction and PCOS for free. Email email@example.com . WhatsApp + 91 6360108663
Author : Dr. Savitha Suri Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Free Ayurvedic Consultation
Call us at +91 9945995660 / +91 9448433911
Whats App + 91 6360108663/